Potato Fresh Plum Dumplings
Potato Fresh Plum Dumplings are a delicious comforting dish known in many European countries. Potato dough is wrapped around fresh prune plums, formed into balls and then boiled until plum is tender. The dumplings are then immediately coated with sweetened cinnamony toasted buttery breadcrumbs. It is really really delicious and a perfect dish for plum season.
To print the recipe check the full recipe on my blog:
Makes about 15-17 dumplings
1 pound (500g) starchy potatoes
1 tbsp (15g) butter, melted
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
15-17 fresh prune plums
1 cup (150g) fine breadcrumbs
2 tbsp (30g) butter
2/3 cup (135g) sugar
1/2 tsp (1g) cinnamon
1. Boil the potatoes with their skin on, until tender. Let the potato cool slightly before peeling.
2. Meanwhile prepare the breadcrumb coating. In a medium frying pan melt the butter, add breadcrumbs and mix to combine. Cook on low-medium heat until golden brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When cool enough stir in sugar and cinnamon.
3. Prepare the potato dough. Place the peeled potatoes into a large bowl and mash using a potato masher or simply use a grater. Add salt, egg, melted butter and flour and mix to combine. Knead until a smooth, sticky dough is formed.
4. Split each plum slightly just to remove the pit and set aside until ready to use.
5. Bring a large pot of water to boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. On a floured surface, take about a spoon of potato dough, flatten slightly, add a plum into the center and wrap the dough around it. Form into balls.
6. Put 4 or 5 dumplings at once into the hot water. Let the dumplings boil until they come to the surface of the water. Let them boil on the surface another 5 more minutes. Remove the dumplings with a perforated spoon and roll them in breadcrumbs mixture.
7. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
Background music: Unthaw by Royal Nature (Arcane) Artlist